Entish Character Glossary
One of Middle-earth’s great mysteries is, simply put: what became of the Entwives? Treebeard recounted their “strange and sad” history to Merry and Pippin, the longing apparent in his ancient, powerful voice. While Ents cherished trees and mountainsides and the deep woods. Ent-maidens loved and tended the lowland grasses and meadows, and especially the gardens and fields they planted and tilled. When the Darkness fell, Entwives fled across the Anduin and were rarely visited by their slow — moving mates. After the Darkness receeded, Men came to learn the ways of the Ent-wives, and the fields stood golden with com. Forgotten were the Ents who lived in the mountains and distant vales. With the coming of Sauron, the scorched fields lay in waste, and the fleeing Ent-wives disappeared.
Surviving Ents like Treebeard searched relentlessly for their rosy-cheeked, golden-haired mates, but no Ent-wife was ever found. Some believe that Fimbrethil and at least one other Entmaiden survived the wars and ravages of the Second and Third Ages, interpreting Treebeard’s wistful remembrance of Wandlimb as an oblique reference not to Fimbrethil but to a second and fleeter Ent-wife.
Note: The Entish glossaries include descriptions and stats for both Ents and Ent-wives. The appearance stat for the Onodrim is determined on a scale analogous to the beauty found in trees.
Lvl: 32. Race: Onod (Ent-wife). Profession: Gardener. Home: Vales of the Anduin, then unknown aka: Thin-birch, Slender — beech, Wandlimb the Lightfooted.
RM Stats: St-103; Qu-60; Em-90; In-95; Pr-88; Ag-64; Co-105; Me-80; Re-95; SD-84. MERP Stats: St-103; Ag-64; Co-105; Ig-87; In-95; Pr-88. Appearance: (120).
Skill Bonuses: Amb72, AnimH82, AnimT86, Chem110, Climb64, Farm104, For102, Fren94, Herd106, Med98, Sing78, Star88, Stonel04, Subd86, Track78, Weal10.
The fair (to Entish eyes) beloved of Treebeard, Fimbrethil disappeared ages ago on the eastern side of the Anduin River. A remarkable gardener and friend to Mannish farmers, the seventoed Entmaiden with green-specked deep brown eyes, apple cheeks and golden hair has yet to be found, although Men tell stories of encountering just such a kindly (if long-winded and sonorous) Treeherdess in all comers of the land.
Fimbrethil’s Special Abilities
- 64 PP. +10 directed spell OB. Knows Ranger base lists to 300th level and all Open Channeling lists to 10th lvl.
- Entish Strength
- Can stomp with 105 OB or throw large rocks with 90 OB. Criticals achieved are rolled on Super Large Critical s table.
Read LotRII 99, 100; LotRIII 510.
Lvl: 42. Race: Onod (Ent). Profession: Treeherd. Home: Blue Mountains, then Fangorn Forest. Aka: Finglas, Hair-leaf.
RM Stats: St-112; Qu-50; Em-100; In-101; Pr-98; Ag-65; Co-120; Me-90; Re-80; Sd-80. MERP Stats: St-112; Ag-65: Co-120; Ig-80; In-101; Pr-98. Appearance: (96).
Skill Bonuses: AnimH82, AnimT74, Perc84, Cheml24, For122, Fren110, Herd104, Lead94, Med104, Sing74, Star102, Stone108, Subd98, Track86, Weal14.
Leaflock was one of the three Ents that remained from the Eldar days, along with Treebeard and Skinbark. He is a short but very broad Ent, standing only eleven feet tall. His “flock” was a varied company, including willows, birches, firs, and pines. Leaflock himself resembles a willow tree, and his leafy green head foliage is long and pliant, hanging welt below his shoulders. Originally, Leaflock and his people dwelt about and in the Blue mountains. Sauron’s assaults on the Elves in the Second Age drove them deeper and deeper into the recesses of the mountains. Finally, their numbers very few, Leaflock led his people to Fangorn, where he was reunited with Treebeard and Skinbark. From that time Leaflock has taken to retreating to the high places, separated even from his own people. He has let his leadership duties slack, and other Ents have taken up his responsibilities while he soaks in the summer sun. He grows more and more “tree-ish” as the years pass. He is seldom truly awake anymore, and even when rarely he does rouse from dreaming, he is too tired to walk or travel.
Leaflock’s Special Abilities
- 84 PP. Knows the Animist Plant Mastery and Nature’s Lore lists to 30th lvl, HerbMastery to 20th lvl, and Animal Mastery and Nature’s Protections to 50th lvl. He knows all the Open Channeling lists to 10th lvl, and all the Closed Channeling to 5th lvl, except for Weather Ways, Purification, and Nature’s Law, which he has to 30th lvl. He also has the Open Essence list Essence Shield to 10th lvl; and the Closed Essence list: Spirit Mastery to 5th lvl. Leaflock, like most Ents, seldom resorts to magic. But Leaflock will use magic offensively if he or his people are endangered.
- Entish Strength
- Can stomp with 125 OB or throw large rocks with 110 OB. Criticals achieved on a rerolled on Super Large Criticals table.
Read LotRII 97 – 98. See ICE’S Ents of Fangorn 19, 45.
Lvl: 35 Race: Onod (Ent). Profession; Treeherd. Home; Fangorn Forest. Aka: Bregalad, Swift-tree, the Rash.
RM Stats: St-110; Qu-89; Em-87; In-93; Pr-94; Ag-85; Co-112; Me-90; Re-91; SD-72. MERP Stats: St-110; Ag-85; Co-112; Ig-91; ln-93; Pr-94. Appearance: (99).
Skill Bonuses: AdDef80. Amb92, AnimH85, AnimT89, Chem110, Climb80, For102, Fren96, Herblore90, Herd106, Sing72, Star88, Stone102, Subd84, Track100, Weal10, Woodcrqft120.
A herder of the Rowan trees. Quickbeam was one of the quickest thinking and acting of all Ents. He earned his name in one day by answering “yes” to an older Ent before the elder had finished his question. One of the younger Treeherds, he was tall, long, lithe-limbed, resilient, with a resonant higher voice. During the Ent-moot which led to Saruman’s downfall, he entertained Merry and Pippin since he had already made up his mind about the appropriate course of action. In his joy of nature, he was given to frequent laughter; he liked to sing and sway before his rowan trees, and he even lullabied the two hobbits. Quickbeam was considered rash by his much slower fellows, yet he acted wisely; and his quick decisions were often seconded by his comrades after more time. Quickbeam was considered one of Skinbark’s people.
Quickbeam’s Special Abilities
- 35 PP, knows all Ranger Base lists to 30th lvl, and Purification, Concussion’s Ways, Weather Ways, Spell Defense, Locating Way, and Lore to 10th lvl.
- Entish Strength
- Can stomp with 130 OB or throw large rocks with 120 OB. Criticals achieved on are rolled on Super Large Criticals table.
Read LotRII 109 – 111. See lCE’s Ents of Fangorn 45.
Lvl: 30. Race: Onod (Ent). Profession: Treeherd. Home: Fangorn Forest.
RM Stats: St-108; Qu-63; Em-84; In-96; Pr-93; Ag-65; Co-110; Me-95; Re-92; Sd-82. MERP Stats: St-108; Ag-65; Co-110; Ig-92; In-96; Pr-93. Appearance: (91).
Skill Bonuses: Amb72, AnimH80, AnimT78, Chem110, Climb60, Farm104, For98, Fren86, Herblore60, Herd108, Lead76, Med72, Pottery30, Sing64, Star88, Stone102, Track70, Weal10, Woodcraft120.
An ancient Shadow of the Woods, Sharpleaf’s origins are unclear. As with the other Ent-survivors in the Third Age, Fangorn Forest is his home. Originally a follower of Leaflock, Sharpleaf resembles a thirteen-foot-tall (sad-faced) elm tree, with arching branches serving as his arms. With Leaflock away sunning himself and avoiding fellow Tree-shepherds, Sharpleaf has sought to provide the leadership now lacking, but he is rebuffed at every turn by Treebeard’s followers, who demand that all Treeherds serve but one master: Fangorn (Treebeard). Sharpleaf shares Treebeard’s pleasure in singing a good Elvish song and has been known to smile, but not since S.A. 2460.
Sharpleaf’s Special Abilities
- 60 PP, knows all base Animist lists to 30th lvl, and Weather Ways, Purification, and Lore to 10th lvl.
- Entish Strength
- Can stomp with 120 OB or throw large rocks with a 105 OB. Criticals achieved are rolled on the Super Large Criticals table.
See ICE’s Ents of Fangorn 45.
Lvl: 45. Race: Onod (Ent). Profession: Treeherd. Home: Mountains west of Isengard, Fangorn Forest. Aka: Fladrif.
RM Stats: St-110; Qu-70; Em-98; In-100; Pr-100; Ag-75; Co-115; Me-102; Re-85; Sd-95. MERP Stats: St-110; Ag-75; Co-115; Ig-95; In-99; Pr-100. Appearance: (100).
Skill Bonuses: AnimH86, AnimT78, Perc88, Chem136, For128, Fren118, Herd106, Lead76, Sing74, Star102, Stone108, Track86, Weal18.
Skinbark, along with Treebeard and Leaf lock, is one of the three remaining First Age Onodrim. He is a very tall Ent, standing seventeen feet, and resembles a white birch. He is long-limbed with long fingers and toes. He and his people, the birches, ash, rowan, and aspen, earlier lived west of Isengard, and there suffered terribly from the evil works of Saruman and his Orcs. Skinbark himself was seriously wounded, and a tragic number of his tree-herds and flock were completely destroyed. Following these horrors, Skinbark retreated to the higher ground in Fangorn and generally refuses to come back down. Therefore, Skinbark does not contribute much to the leadership of the Ents, except over his own people. However, his wisdom is such that when he does participate he is greatly respected.
Skinbark’s Special Abilities
- 135 PP. Knows the Animist Plant Mastery and Nature’s Lore lists to 30th lvl, and Animal Mastery, Herb Mastery, and Nature’s Protection to 10th lvl. He knows all the Open Channeling lists to 20th lvl and all the Closed Channeling to 10th lvl. But he knows the Weather Ways, Purification, Concussion’s Ways, and Nature’s Law lists to 30th lvl. He also has access to the Open Essence lists Essence Hand, Unbarring Ways, and Essence Shield to 10th; and the Closed Essence lists: Spirit Mastery and Dispelling Ways to 5th lvl. Like his fellows, Skinbark seldom uses his magical skills.
- Entish Strength
- Can stomp with 140 OB or throw large rocks with 115 OB. Criticals achieved on are rolled on Super Large Criticals table.
Read LotRII 97 – 98. See ICE’s Ents of Fangorn 19, 45.
Lvl: 55. Race: Onod (Ent). Profession: Treeherd. Home: Fangorn Forest. Aka: Fangorn, the Wise, the Eldest.
RM Stats: St-115; Qu-60; Em-95; In-100; Pr-102; Ag-80; Co-120; Me-101; Re-90; Sd-100. MERP Stats: St-115; Ag-80; Co-120; Ig-90; In-100; Pr-102. Appearance: (97).
Skill Bonuses: AnimH96, AnimT88, Perc98, Chem144, Dipl98, For138, Fren128, Herd116, Lead86, PSp96, Sing84, Star112, Stone118, Track96, Wea128.
Treebeard, the great guardian of Fangorn Forest is, aside from the Maïar, the oldest living creature in Middle Earth. His name, “Treebeard,” is the exact translation of his Sindarin name Fangorn, which he shares with the forest. Noone knows whether the Ent was named after the forest or vice-versa. Both are extremely ancient. Fangorn Forest and the Old Forest are the last two woodlands remaining from the Elder days. Both yet retain areas where the shadow of the Great Darkness has not lifted. Treebeard’s works, because of his deep wisdom, have been many, significant, and good. He was responsible for the discovery and establishment of Fangorn Forest as the last true haven for the Ents. He aroused the other Ents in the necessary assault on Saruman, and probably bent the Huorns to their assault on the Hornburg. Treebeard does a better job than most Ents in monitoring what is happening in the outside world. He remains especially interested in the Istari, because he knows that their works influence ail the world, including the Ents and their home-lands. Treebeard resembles a beech or oak tree, and stands about fifteen feet tall. He is one of the strongest of the Ents, and although he is patient and compassionate, when finally angered, he can wreak terrible destruction.
Treebeard’s Special Abilities of Note
- 165 PP. Knows the Animist Plant Mastery and Nature’s Lore lists to 50th lvl. and Animal Mastery and Herb Mastery to 10th lvl. Knows all Open Channeling lists to 20th lvl and all Closed Channeling lists to 10th lvl. Knows Weather Ways, Purification, and Nature’s Law to 50th lvl. Open Essence lists Essence Hand, Unbarring Ways, and Essence Shield to 20th lvl; and the Closed Essence lists Spirit Mastery and Dispelling Ways to 10th lvl. Treebeard never uses magic in combat, except perhaps healing magic on the periphery of a battle. He seldom uses any spell over 10th lvl, restraining that level of power for dire need.
- Entish Strength
- Can stomp with 135 OB or throw large rocks with 125 OB. Criticals achieved on are rolled on Super Large Criticals table.
Read LotRII 83; LotRIII 317 – 321, 510. See ICE’s Ents of Fangorn 18, 45.
Right-click and choose "Save link target as" for the .markdown files.